By Meagan Bueltel, Wellness Analyst at Pizza Hut
Whether you’re a busy parent juggling your kids’ extracurricular activities, a college student managing a course workload and part-time job, or a full-time professional battling rush hour traffic on your way home at the end of the day, chances are your health and wellness often gets put on the back burner in favor of other day-to-day priorities. And, like those of us who put a pot on the stove’s back burner, promptly forget about it, and then find their kitchen on fire, putting your health on hold may have severe consequences later in life. According to the American Heart Association, people who are physically active and at a healthy weight live about 7 years longer than those who are not active and are obese.
Fortunately for those of us who don’t have all the time we might like to put our health first, there are some easy ways to feel more energized and take care of your mind and body. Here are some easy tips and tricks that we’re using here at Pizza Hut to feel better.
- Take the stairs. This year, we’re challenging Pizza Hut employees to track their steps using the Virgin Pulse app. Virgin Pulse offers participants a way to increase their heart rate throughout the day just by taking the stairs instead of the elevator, planning a walking meeting rather than a sit-down conversation, or just opting to stand on the bus instead of sit. Starting in Q4 (i.e., later this fall), restaurants across the US can get a realistic picture of how much exercise they’re putting in each day; restaurant general managers can sign their team members up to see how many steps team members are getting in, without even realizing it.
- Go for the Skinny Slice Pizza. We rolled out a menu option with our Flavor of Now choices. We now have a Skinny Slice Pizza—with 250 calories or less per slice for set recipes, or with 300 calories or less for certain “create your own” options —and lots of fresh toppings such as spinach and Peruvian cherry peppers, and a premium crushed tomato sauce. We’re doing our part to meet customers’ desires by taking out artificial colors and flavors in our core pizzas. Adding colorful toppings to your pizza may be a good indication that you’re boosting the vitamins and essential nutrients of your meal.
- Catch your zzz’s. It can be tough to schedule enough time to sleep with everything going on in your life. But, sleep is important. Research shows that people who lose 30 minutes of sleep every night during the week are 72 per cent more likely to become obese and suffer related health problems. Getting better sleep may be as simple as turning your electronics off before bed and making rest a priority at the end of the day.
- Drink like a fish (water, that is). Keep hydration going throughout the day, regardless of whether or not it’s hot or if you’re thirsty. Replacing soda with water is an easy win for your health, and since water carries oxygen to your cells, your muscles will feel more naturally energized without the use of caffeine. If drinking water all day sounds boring to you, food can provide about 20% of total water intake, so getting in extra fruits and vegetables is a quick and easy way to help your body feel more hydrated.
- No excuses. Did you know that Pizza Hut also offers a gym membership discount? It’s one of our benefits to team members across the US, and an excellent option for those looking to take their commitment to fit to the next level. GlobalFit guarantees the lowest rates to thousands of gyms across the country—just provide your zip code to globalfit.com/pizzahut to find a gym near you and get started. On the site, you’ll also find health coaching and sign up your family members as well!
Of course, before starting any diet or exercise plan, we recommend that you consult with your medical professional.