58 YEARS AGO ON MAY 31ST, 1958, two brothers opened a restaurant in Wichita, KS that served something called pizza. They had a simple but noble goal to serve great food to their neighbors while exhibiting superior customer service. Pizza Hut seeks to continue that great legacy by sticking to our restaurant roots and providing quality food and service for many years to come. In pursuit of that goal we are constantly innovating, looking for ways to bring our customers best in class products and a customer experience to remember.
See below for just a few of the ways that we’ve gone about delivering on this promise and when you’re done check out the new Pizza Hut microsite dedicated to our food story at restaurantquality.pizzahut.com. The site spotlights the ingredients, heritage, innovations, and more so that our customers can learn about where our ingredients come from.
DID YOU KNOW?
- In May 2015 Pizza Hut was the first national pizza restaurant to remove artificial flavors and colors from its core pizzas.
- Over the past five years, Pizza Hut has removed 2.5 million pounds of salt from its ingredients.
- The mushrooms we use go from farm to Pizza Hut pizza in as a little as 48 hours.
- Our tomatoes begin the process of becoming sauce within approximately four hours of being picked from the vine.
- Speaking of tomatoes, Pizza Hut still uses some of the same fields in California’s Central Valley that our founders did.
- Since 1958 we’ve been using the same wheat farmer, farm and mill to make the flour that goes in our dough. One of the current farmers is the fourth generation to work with Pizza Hut!
- Jim LePrino’s family owned LePrino Foods has been providing Pizza Hut with high quality 100% real mozzarella cheese since 1968. It was through this partnership that shredded cheese as opposed to sliced became the industry standard for pizza.
And the work doesn’t stop there! As we continue to seek improvements we will remove the following from our list of ingredients:
- BHA/BHT from all meats by end of July 2016
- Preservatives from cheese by end of March 2017
- Antibiotics important to human medicine from chicken for its pizzas by end of March 2017
The future is bright and full of delicious, high-quality food! Want to learn about how we got started 58 years ago and how those founding principles of superior food quality shape who we are today? Watch the video below and don’t forget to check out restaurantquality.pizzahut.com to learn more about our food.